So after chatting with a few wonderful campers I decided to tackle an umbrella that lets you know when you should bring it along.
Design considerations in order of importance is speed of development, ease of use, durability, size of solution, power consumption, price and name.
Ideally, the dumbrella v0 will
- be done by camp’s end
- be standalone
- accurately indicate if it is going to rain in your zip code that day
- survive in the rain
- fit inside an umbrella handle
- have batteries that last a while unattended
- have easily replaceable batteries
- cost me less than $100
- have a better name, possible related to PR Nelson
The current thought is a hollow wooden handle, with a wi-fi enabled microcontroller that polls every 30 minutes some website to check if its going to rain in the next 24 hours based on its geoip location. If the forecast says rain, it lights up all sorts of crazy.